Navigating








Previous Posts
Picnic Bento
From the Formica Top #6: Test Kitchen (+ Other Thi...
Interesting Things on Foodie Blogs
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Redesign! (Not Quite Done)
Meal Diary: Dinner - Chicken Tikka Masala with Grains
Meal Diary: Lunch - Chicken Sausage on Bread
Introducing the Meal Diary
Cook the Book: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops
Cook the Book: Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Fro...
Foodie Blog Roll
Just Bento
Chez Pim
Amateur Gourmet
Serious Eats
Traveler's Lunchbox
Foodie Farmgirl
Always in the Kitchen
Dorie Greenspan
Experimenting: Butternut Squash Pancakes
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Actually, this post should be titled:

Experimenting: Butternut Squash Applesauce Quinoa Pancakes

but that's just a little pretentious, right?

Maybe because I read a lot of food blogs and today was World Pancake Day, I had a hankering for pancakes. But, in my desire to experiment and try different things, I couldn't leave well enough alone.

There aren't any photos of this experiment, mostly because I didn't think it would necessarily be something worth blogging. And while they were not a complete success, I found a flavor combination that I really liked and already have plans to do something with tomorrow morning, so this is more of a sketchbook post.

To explain my lack of butter and eggs, as well as oil, I'm trying to see what I can do with certain vegan restrictions and an eye on calories. These were not necessarily low-calorie, but they work as a dinner-time plate. I'm also just mildly obsessed with applesauce at the moment, as well as whole grains, which explains the quinoa.

I was lame and used waffle mix as my base for this. It was there and the calories were already added up. I added a cup of cubed boiled butternut squash, some applesauce, lots of cinnamon, a hair of nutmeg, a sprinkling of ginger and some allspice and some cooked quinoa. Red quinoa, because that's what was at the organic store. A good amount of time on a griddle and they were warm and feel good in my tummy.

But thinking about it now, I think that the one thing I need to subtract is the pancake factor. I'm thinking adding butternut squash mash and applesauce, along with the spices, on the stove with some quinoa. Something has to go in to add some creaminess, so I'm thinking a dollop of cream cheese melted in with some vanilla extract, a splash of milk, perhaps.

But then add a couple eggs (or really, just the yolks), put it in a ramekin and cook it slow and low in the oven for custard. Not vegan, but that's okay. I'm not one.

And since I love muffins, I think this would make a nice whole wheat muffin. I have vital wheat gluten, so I know I can lift the whole wheat, although without yeast, I don't know if I can use it. I think I'll try anyway, for a cakey crumb. That's the idea, anyway.

So, tomorrow will be a test of all three.

And since the oven will be on, maybe I'll try that malted milk muffin I've been wanting to make up. That'll probably take a few tries. I'm imagining a milkshake muffin, really. Chocolate may become involved, perhaps as chips, melted and glazing the tops or as a gooey dollop in the middle.

And I'm starting to feel like noodles and rice balls again. Oh--there's carrots, parsnips and turkey sausage, too.

Is this what it feels like to work in food every day? Because it's work, but it's also just a little blissful.
posted by Rose @ 9:56 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Starry Rose
Home: New Haven, CT

A writer, cook, book-addict, foodie and pagan

Me on the Web
My deviantART Gallery
Myspace Profile
My Delicious
See my complete profile
Understar Collective
All of my blogs
Understar Productions
Starry Saltwater
Twinkle Ink
Understar Photography
Estrella's Journal
Stellar Reaction
Archives
Credits
Template edited by me
Template created by Isnaini.com
Graphics created by me
Photoshop brushes from Special-K-001
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER