Navigating








Previous Posts
Experimenting: Butternut Squash Update
Experimenting: Butternut Squash Pancakes
Picnic Bento
From the Formica Top #6: Test Kitchen (+ Other Thi...
Interesting Things on Foodie Blogs
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Redesign! (Not Quite Done)
Meal Diary: Dinner - Chicken Tikka Masala with Grains
Meal Diary: Lunch - Chicken Sausage on Bread
Introducing the Meal Diary
Foodie Blog Roll
Just Bento
Chez Pim
Amateur Gourmet
Serious Eats
Traveler's Lunchbox
Foodie Farmgirl
Always in the Kitchen
Dorie Greenspan
Superbowl Cake (A Week Late)
Monday, February 11, 2008
I should have posted this last Monday, but I didn't.

Now, before you judge--yes, the Giants goalposts are crooked and the Patriots logo is missing a dot on the "i"--remember it was my first fondant decorating attempt. I think I would have had more time if I hadn't had a dinner party the night before...

The letters in the Giants logo were hand cut with a little paring knife and a reference shot. My friend Jesse left his sunglasses at my house the night before and I was just getting started when he walked in the door. He sat at the kitchen table with me for a couple of hours, trying to see how it was all going to come out. He was impressed, but since I'm inspired by Duff at Charm City Cakes, I was not entirely happy, but since it was my first try, it turned out okay. I didn't fondant the field so that people wouldn't be cracking their teeth on hardened fondant when it came to actually cut into the cake. It's a cream cheese frosting dyed green, with a chocolate cake in the middle. I used this recipe from Serious Eats, just halving it because I was not baking two cakes. It was pretty tasty, but I think I prefer a moister crumb. But then, I might just have left it in the oven too long. The lines on the field were done with Wilton cookie icing in a bottle, which made it easier to draw straight lines. There are actually the right number or lines, which is only thanks to my little sketch.

So this is the Patriots side, with the missing dot on the "i." I know, I know. But I really rushed this job because I was a little tired after Saturday's dinner party. I don't know why I thought a cooking marathon was a good idea, but I learned a lot. For the Pats logo I just rolled out a thin snake of white fondant and shaped it into letters, then rolled it with a rolling pin onto the red blob of fondant. I really wanted a cool looking Superbowl logo in the middle, but as that piece went on 5 minutes before we walked out the door, I just put a Roman numeral 42 up there. The goal posts were put on once we arrived at the party we were going to. They're pretzel sticks covered in fondant. I think the Patriots one had more time to dry, which is why the Giants one is crooked. I fussed with it all night, really, but whatever. I think the next time I try a cake I'll make sure it's a little bigger, because it would have been a thousand times easier to create all of it a little bigger. And I really wish I would have had time to make the mini Tom Brady and Eli Manning football players.

Maybe next year.
posted by Rose @ 8:42 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Starry Rose
Home: New Haven, CT

A writer, cook, book-addict, foodie and pagan

Me on the Web
My deviantART Gallery
Myspace Profile
My Delicious
See my complete profile
Understar Collective
All of my blogs
Understar Productions
Starry Saltwater
Twinkle Ink
Understar Photography
Estrella's Journal
Stellar Reaction
Archives
Credits
Template edited by me
Template created by Isnaini.com
Graphics created by me
Photoshop brushes from Special-K-001
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER